A hundreds-year-old chuch in Canaan is a total loss after an early morning fire Monday. Barry Wygel has the latest from Columbia County.
CANAAN, N.Y. -- A church that has stood at the center of town in Canaan since the early 1800s is no more.
At 5:30 Monday morning, crews were called to the church and encountered an inferno that engulfed every section of the building.
Residents say the church was the heart of the town and held the small village together.
Christmas Eve was a big service that they had. It was a community service. The church was full.
Almost nothing was able to be saved from the building, except the church's oldest bible and the communion plates. While still in shock, church leaders say they will continue moving forward.
No injuries have been reported, and investigators are working on the case.